The Edward Ardizzone Archive Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
Paul G

Retracing the Steps Empty Retracing the Steps

Sat Nov 25, 2023 8:56 am
For many of us - of a certain age - Edward's work is instantly evocative of childhood; yet as an adult (and book collector) I very soon realised how varied his output actually was. One only has to think of the war artist work for instance.  Although it's the more peaceable visits to the pub I'm talking about here.

In fact me and a couple of others (my partner, Liz and friend of ours, Adam) have begun a project of visiting the pubs drawn in The Local and drawing them ourselves.  We began a few weeks back with the Prince Alfred in Maida Vale and will be doing The Warrington in February next year.  Edward's drawings often give the impression of sketchiness but they are nothing of the sort, in fact they are so well observed it was pretty easy to find the same view point he had used and make a drawing from there.  

The reference I had was from the 2010 reprint and is featured below with my own version.  

The 'Pub' and it's demise is something which features in my studio work at the moment, mostly Liverpool where i live but one or two London pubs.  I don't really know where the Ardizzone pub project is heading but we're just enjoying the experience.  
Retracing the Steps Prince12
Retracing the Steps 4c00c412

If anyone would care to join us at the Warrington do drop me a line.

Admin and QClem like this post

QClem

Retracing the Steps Empty Re: Retracing the Steps

Mon Nov 27, 2023 12:26 pm
Thank you for joining the forum, That's a lovely sketch! Good luck with your endeavor, you are always welcome to post your pictures and your stories here. The Alfred is still very much the same place!

Paul G likes this post

Paul G

Mon Nov 27, 2023 2:03 pm
Yes it's still a nice pub ( speaking as someone who doesnt' really drink! ) We did attract quite a bit of interest from passersby and people in the pub, including the Ardizzone connection.

We'll be visiting London again in Feb next year and intend doing the Warrington (possibly the Warwick Castle on the same day) , I'll post a notice here in case any other artists would like to join us.
Admin
Admin
https://edward-ardizzone.forumotion.eu

Wed Nov 29, 2023 11:40 am
Hi Paul!
This is such a lovely drawing!
I like drawings of places more than photographs.

A camera records what it sees, a person draws what they feel.
This is why I love the Urban Sketchers initiative. It allows us visiting distant places using the perspective of the painter's soul.
You are welcome to post your social handles in your account info or in your first post, so other people can see more of your work.

I am looking forward to seeing more of your work in this thread in relation to Edward Ardizzone's urban sketching  Very Happy
And because of your travels, you could even help us with some of the questions posted in the Help Needed with these Pictures theme gallery like Question #8.
Your comments there are also welcome.

Paul G likes this post

Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum